Seduce: to win over; attract

Yarn seduces me with her siren call. "Pick me! Pick me!" I am hopelessly enchanted by yarn and am delighted by the endless choices.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Beaded socks frogged

I finally received the other beads I ordered and was anxious to cast on for the Sockdown! January Beaded Mystery Sock. I had wound my Knit Picks Gloss a couple of weeks ago so I was ready.

Did I mention that I ran into the same problem with these 8mm beads as the first beads previously ordered?! My smallest crochet hook (size 14) would not go through the hole! So I dumped a handfull of beads onto the paper plate and proceeded to try each one in hopes of finding a bead with a hole large enough to use. I found some, yeah!

Yesterday I cast on, did the cuff, and worked to the point where a bead was added. I had to wrestle with the yarn, working it through the bead hole with a teeny, tiny crochet hook. The yarn split!! So, I wrestled with it some more and finally got it on. It only took me an hour to get eight beads (one round) on the yarn using a crochet hook. (I find it much easier to just string the beads on the yarn). So after all that work, my wrist hurt, my shoulders were up around my ears, and I was very frustrated.

New idea... I got out some Shibui yarn and 6mm beads and cast on again. Same problem with the crochet hook going through the bead hole! So I dumped beads onto the paper plate and found some that would work.


After working to the same spot as the Knit Pick pair, I decided my wrists did not need this abuse. Besides, this yarn split also while trying to wrestle it through the bead hole.

So I frogged the both of them and started a plain pair of socks!

Sunday is the 1st of February and I can start a pair of socks for Sockdown! February. Less stress.

2 comments:

LNS said...

I am personally of the opinion that beads are troublemakers, plain and simple. I applaud your tenacity, but I'd choose less stress and fewer injuries if it were me too :-)

smariek said...

I take it the February Sock has no beads. I've never knit with beads before, I had no idea you needed to get a crochet hook small enough to fit through the hole in the bead.