Seduce: to win over; attract

Yarn seduces me with her siren call. "Pick me! Pick me!" I am hopelessly enchanted by yarn and am delighted by the endless choices.

Monday, March 1, 2010

A Visit to the Fiber Mill

... and yes, it is located with the Alpaca Farm we visited.
The Fiber Mill is not up and running but Vanessa walked us through the process of what happens to the alpaca fleece.

After the alpaca are shorn, it is time for skirting (removal of any undesirable parts e.g., burrs, thistles, weeds, etc.)
Vanessa is showing us the length and the crimping of the fleece.

After skirting, next comes washing, then picking which breaks up dense clumps of fiber and gets it ready for carding.

Carding/Drafting...separates every fiber individually/turned into a fine web of fiber (batt)


Spinning/Plying...

I knew it was work to take fleece, clean it, card it, spin it, and ply it but had no idea just how much how work goes into the yarny goodness of my favorite fiber alpaca yarn.

Thank you Vanessa for taking us through the steps of alpaca farming to the end product after the fleece has been processed.

No comments: